Monday, April 7, 2008

An Abrupt Ending

The speech I chose was an old Bill Clinton speech, mainly because I think Bill Clinton is getting slightly annoying. Hence, I picked this speech because he talks about a topic that is important to me, which is education, and because he ends his speech with my favorite ending, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

The speech itself was a typical informative speech with a typical layout. While his introduction lacked an attention grabber, (I got bored and microwaved some food during it), I was then captivated again when he spoke of his plans in the education system.

The other thing that I noticed in his speech was his tendency to name drop, which he did at least three or four times throughout his six minute speech. I also noticed his repetition of the word "American," to appeal to the general audience. I lost count after twelve.

Clinton also mentions his wife, Hilary, which I find ironic, since she is now running for office.

Either way, Clinton had a general good layout for his informative speech. What wasn't good about his speech, was his conclusion. He could have ended his speech on an optimistic note, however, he chooses to end abruptly with a shout out to Monica Lewinsky, "I didn't have sexual relations with that woman!"

His half-attempted denial was eventually debunked after this speech, but I still find his conclusion hilarious.

No comments: